As we are well aware, summer is here and blazing. While there are many activities to do this summer not to feel the heat, I’m sure you can agree that the last thing many of us want to do right now is cook a hot meal. With the hottest summer on the global record upon us, there’s nothing quite like a refreshing salad to keep us cool and nourished during these summer months. Packed with fresh ingredients, vibrant colours and a cool time, we have collected 10 of the best salads to make this summer.
Whether it’s for a barbeque, a picnic or a refreshing meal to beat the heat, these salads are sure to satisfy the craving and keep you cool all summer long.
- Watermelon and Feta Salad: This classic combination of juicy watermelon and creamy feta cheese is a true summer delight. Tossed with fresh mint leaves and a sprinkle of black pepper, this salad perfectly balances sweet, salty, and tangy flavours.
- Grilled Peach and Rocket Salad: Capture the essence of summer with this grilled peach and rocket salad. The smoky sweetness of the peaches pairs beautifully with the peppery rocket, while a sprinkle of goat cheese and a honey-lemon dressing adds a delightful twist. You can also add an optional ball of burrata for another level of flavour and creaminess.
3. Caprese Salad Skewers: Elevate the traditional Caprese salad by serving it on skewers. Alternate cherry tomatoes, mini mozzarella balls, and fresh basil leaves on bamboo skewers, then drizzle with a balsamic glaze. These bite-sized delights are perfect for summer gatherings. This is perfect for those that don’t like salad but are still trying to beat the heat. We all deserve to stay cool!
- Thai Mango Salad: Experience the vibrant flavours of Thailand with a tangy mango salad. Tossed with shredded carrots, cucumber, peppers, and fresh herbs like coriander and mint, this salad is dressed in a zesty lime dressing and topped with roasted peanuts for a satisfying crunch.
- Greek Quinoa Salad: For a hearty yet refreshing salad option, try the Greek quinoa salad. Loaded with cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, red onions, feta cheese, and olives, this salad gets an extra boost of protein from the quinoa. Drizzle with a lemon-herb dressing for a burst of Mediterranean flavours.
- Apple Walnut Salad: Sweet and savoury, this salad is so quick and easy to make this season. The crisp summer apples paired with the nuttiness crunch of the walnuts, tossed with tangy balsamic vinegarette make for a delicious summer essential.
- Avocado and Corn Salad: Celebrate the bounty of summer with an avocado and corn salad. Grilled corn kernels, creamy avocado slices, juicy cherry tomatoes, and fresh cilantro are combined in a lime-cumin dressing. This salad is both satisfying and packed with nutritious goodness.
- French Gem Lettuce and Radish Salad: Peppery and crisp, this lettuce and radish salad is a perfect side dish for any summer meal. Thinly sliced radish and crisp lettuce are combined with a honey dijon dressing, creating a crisp and tangy salad that pairs gorgeously with grilled fish or a seared steak. Optionally add onions and potatoes for added complexity and depth!
- Mediterranean Orzo Salad: Transport yourself to the Mediterranean with this orzo salad. Cooked orzo pasta is mixed with juicy cherry tomatoes, diced cucumbers, crumbled feta cheese, olives, and fresh herbs. Tossed in a lemon-olive oil dressing, this salad is bursting with Mediterranean flavours.
- Mexican Black Bean Salad: Add a touch of spice to your summer with a zesty Mexican black bean salad. Black beans, corn, diced tomatoes, bell peppers, and avocado are tossed together with a lime-cilantro dressing. This protein-packed salad is perfect as a standalone meal or as a side dish for your summer fiestas.
These ten salads are a cool escape from the summer heat (and the realisation that we need to combat global warming together). From fruits, veggies, proteins and lots of flavours– there’s a salad on this list for everyone.